Saturday, May 17, 2014

Two houses into one....and counting.

Construction is complete. There are still boxes to open and deal with, guest rooms and whole upstairs is in the works. Major artwork is hung, but the smaller pieces are here and there on the floor leaning against walls I've yet to commit to. They say moving is one of the top stressful experiences to go through. Well, as I canvased my house this morning after consuming copious amounts of fine red wine last night, a groggy panic set in. I realized that while I've accomplished a lot, there is a woeful amount left to deal with. But, after receiving a request for a blog update from my dear friend May Hay, I decided to take a few pics that I'm pretty happy with. I didn't straighten anything, just pointed and shot as things are, including a glimpse of my irish setter, the one and only Scarlett O'Hara. She thinks this house was built just for her.


 Breakfast Room with beautiful pink peonies.



Living Room



Living Room with kitchen beyond, not completely cleaned up from last nights dinner gathering with that fine red wine..... those pillows on the sofa are from One Kings Lane :-)

This is the view as I walk from my bedroom toward the entry/dining hall, living room beyond.
The large french biblioteque at left belonged to my mother in law, Virginia Samford. It had been painted many times and has been in storage for almost 22 years. I saw a beauty in this, contrary to my husband John who had never liked the piece when his mother brought it home when he was 13. But after stripping most (I left a few traces of turquoise) of it's paint, and painted the interior white, it cleaned up just fine. The original woven wire is in the doors and it holds my beloved architectural and design book library. See also the photo below where it's on the right.
 The photo below is our bar. The featured artifact on the back wall are ancient doors of carved wood and metal details we believe are from a ship of possibly Moroccan origin, but we will never know for sure.

Close up of bar. Things aren't quite in their place yet. Some of these glasses will go in our china cabinets that needed a little work before being put in place. 


So that's it for now. I'll post more photos as the house takes shape. How's that May Hay?




1 comment:

  1. Jaw droppingly beautiful LL. You are so talented....!!

    ReplyDelete